Thursday, September 11, 2003

>> Vaguities

Everything is the same thing, by Jon Carroll. Got me wondering just how big this whole RIAA thing is. It's not about paying for music. It's about what capitalism is. Or maybe I'm just paranoid =) Either way, there is a concept lying beneath all the rubble that an economy and "value" and income represent, about what we are versus what we have become. It's so blurred and distorted by our culture and society that I can't quite put my finger on it. But I think it's there. It's more than the fact that "you can't put a price on music, because music would exist without money".

We have bred a world of desirers rather than actors or thinkers, and now we should not be surprised when people want things. Consumerism has never been about ethics, and in fact a free-market model should never rely upon them in the slightest. Time to choose between a market and a world.

No comments: