Thursday, January 15, 2004

Interesting look at The State of Perl which, I think, manages to sustain my confidence in where Perl is going, and what it stands for, if anything. The main thing I get out of it is that in order to be a good Perlmonk, you have to get to know CPAN, just as much as any Java or .NET coder has to know the supporting APIs. Knowing what's available so you don't write it from scratch is the same across pretty much any language, and weak coders are the ones that don't know what they have avilable to them already.

It's also interesting to note some of the larger sites that use Perl - Amazon being quite a nice shock. And of course, Bugzilla always impresses me.

Nope, I'm defienitely excited about Perl 6, and I really need to start going through CPAN and seeing what can be done. Must code... must code...

No comments: