Friday, April 23, 2004

I had the pleasure to go and see the absolutely amazing Icelandic band Múm last night, and it blew me away so much that I had to blog it. I got into Sigur Rós a few years ago, and they were of a similar awe-inspiring calibre live too. (starálfur remains one of my the songs.) There's something unashamedly experimental about both bands - Múm for instance brought along a fine selection of instruments - a saw, a casio keyboard, one of those little organs that you blow into, a small wooden box with metal contacts that made weird swooshy noises, some violin-cum-sousaphone bizarrity. Oh, and bells, of course. All combine to produce beautifully orchestrated tunes that flit between rhythm, sound and everywhere else, putting most of the music I hear elsewhere into a "staid" box where rehashing of old styles seems to be the norm. Múm prove there's still undiscovered music out there, and I'm so glad I got to see them live.

No comments: