Thursday, April 01, 2004

More fantastically interesting stuff from David Wilcox:
Ten conversation starters on community tech.

Scroll down for my comments on why information and relationships shouldn't be constrained by protocols and interfaces. The more I think about it, the more I don't like the way systems are designed to appeal to a specific "type" of community, and it now seems kind of backwards to fit the technology to the real world, kind of like saying "all communities should use a mailing list". Are our current systems just hodge-podges built on top of older systems designed with a very narrow purpose in mind? Maybe we need to start from scratch, now that we know what we know.

I also hate the way I can't just mirror my comment here, and on my website. Perhaps each of these 3 page should just be thought of as a view into information-space, like a view into a database, pulling out what's relevant to the view's context.

No comments: