Friday, August 05, 2005

Licensing Search v0.0.1

Very soft launching, as I need a small number of testers. Have knocked up an attempt at letting people search through alcohol and entertainment license applications, in light of the August 6th deadline to apply for extended hours.

There are 2 aspects to this testing:

1. Accessibility/browser testing - I don't have anything other than Firefox and Konqueror. (OK, and Lynx.)
2. Content accuracy - I've parsed some PDFs, but only looked up a few pubs that I know.

Here it is if you want to try it out: Brighton and Hove Licensing Search

Release Notes:

1. The original documents have very bad formatting (no commas, etc) so I've done some rough cleaning. Addresses still appear without commas though - something I hope to address soon.

2. The data covers applications up to the 24th, so there are still a fair few pubs and venues not in there. The Council are supposed to be releasing the latest lot "soon"...

3. Also hopiing to add more links for information, etc.

Any feedback, feel free to leave comments here, on the news item there, or via e-mail to beerfind [at] exmosis [dot] net.

2 comments:

JD said...

Hmmm so this only includes the venues that have applied since you started the import? Will the council have a publically searchable register once the law comes into effect?

Scribe said...

This includes venues for most of July (apart from the last week) - i.e. the 3 PDFs available from the Council site. I'll try to find out if there were some before that, and when the next lot will be out.

I'm not holding my breath for a council-run site, but you never know...