Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Text: Layout, Meaning, Flow and Feeling

Having a quick look at LiveInk, which re-structures the layout of text into a hierarchical structure based on content and semantic analysis. Try out the demos.

Reading Moby Dick though, I'm struck by the extent to which I, at least, read it in a very "mechanical", stilted style. I don't know if that's just an initial reaction though - does the mind wonder what it's reading: "Is it prose? Is it a poem? Is it just a series of points?" Certainly I feel like I'm missing out on the flow of the words - something I find that weighs heavily on me as I'm writing. It's probably because I've been reading for 10,000 years or so, but line breaks just catch me out, wanting to stop.

    Twas Brillig
      And the slithy toves
        Did gyre
          and gimble

        in the wabe.




[Edit] Wow, lists have a load of space underneath...

No comments: