Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Screens are not Zen

This 43 folders article about unplugging yourself really points towards a lot of what I'm thinking at the moment. I spend far too much time "defaulting" to a PC screen, just as some people "default" to a television screen.

I'm slowly getting out of the habit. But a whole new perspective involves a very different lifestyle.

I'm trying to do more of my job on paper, for example, so that I don't get distracted by the multitude of twitter/news feed sidebars that a widescreen monitor seems to just make happen. I'm thinking more about pen and paper, in fact - free from distraction, but freedom to doodle. That's what I call convergence.

Does it bother anyone else that 90% of what we do is just to distract ourselves from doing nothing?

No comments: