Monday, September 08, 2014

ROTWOT: Read one thing, Write one thing

A long time ago, when I was a different person, there was and still is a site called 100 words. Every day, for
a whole month, users write exactly 100 words. If you fill all the calendar slots, your words are published on the site.
Its almost too much work for me these days, but a single, leftover thread remains, sellotaped to my brain. The rigidity, maybe the heartbeat, of writing something each day. Forced creativity.

I am not a writer, but I love to write. I also love to read - books, graphic novels, articles, blogs, magazines, twitter - but hate myself for not reading "properly" among all the screens and devices around me; it takes me months to read the shortest of books.

Some daily practice is needed. I don't know how it'll work, or how long it'll last, but I'm up for the idea. And the name: Read One Thing, Write One Thing. Or ROTWOT. A daily literacy. Choose an output and input.

Unlike 100 words and twitter, there's no limit on writing, minimum or guide to any amount. It might be longer than a book, or shorter than a tweet. It's the ideas, not the word count. It's the practice of manifesting, not the science of measurement. Not all ideas will be great, but maybe something good will come of it. Oh yeah, it's also separate to tweeting and blogging.

I'll be hoping to span media as well - writing a blog is fine, but a postcard is also fun, and a stick through the sand speaks volumes. If we read in so many ways, why do we limit our scribing to "posts" and other endless conveyor belts?

Similarly, reading doesn't have to be anything formal. Maybe it's that photocopy that's been hanging around in a drawer for years. Or a postcard with a haiku on. Or a series of books.

That's me WOTted for today. Time to go and ROT.

No comments: