Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Dealing with the future under article 50

A long, long, long time ago I got interested in politics. Back when the 'Blunkett is an Arse' blog was winning awards (ok, an award), I was angry with the world, and the country in particular - the people that ran it, the people that controlled it, and the people that pretended to vote it in.

That anger shaped me a lot. It ended up stripping back any pretense of surprise at the machinations of a modern democracy. It pushed me into arguments that caught me off guard. It helped me improve my fact-checking. Ultimately, it remained, but its own yang tempered itself, and made way for something else. Eventually I stopped blogging to complain, and moved on. The stress wasn't worth it.

Cypherpunks write code. It's not a great motto for me to live by because I don't really write a lot of code, when it comes to hardcore maths. But I write code, and more importantly, I write code to be productive (I hope). The underlying attitude is of creation, of progress. If you want to make something better, then stop whinging, and get on and do something.

I'm also not a hard and fast punk either. Instead I straddle the boundary between anarchist and the state, a kind of anarcho-communist paradox. It's complicated. Anyway, there's something about politically angry that encourages that conflict, I think. A sort of fight-or-flight split brain: either put up and improve what's out there, or shut up and go and do your own thing.

(Actually it's not just me, that's just inherent to the internet, maybe.)

So, anger, coding, progress. Historically, nothing has changed here. I'm still angry. I still hate tabloids. And I still wonder why people don't fact-check or go through any deliberation/exploration before coming to an opinion. That feeling has been with me for 15 years or so.

So Brexit today isn't a surprise, or a shock. It's a little unexpected, but only when compared against the hope of a better world. I'm old enough to know that things don't run on Hope. (Dreams and Love are different affairs though.)

The choice is still the same - get stuck in, or get out. Or both. Both have risks, both have opportunities. Same as always. The world is changing faster than you can keep up with.

Those "Leavers" who want a return to the old days - corporal punishment, caning, giant creme eggs, no internet, etc - will be left behind, same as always - the world just doesn't move in that direction. All we have is a new and different direction of change, and the inequalities and schisms that led to Brexit (urban progress, worldwide development, rapid innovation) will still be here, just in a different form. We don't know what that form is, but then we never had any idea where we are now. That's how quick things change these days.

Keep your eyes open. Hedge your bets. Strengthen your reserves. Know when to make sacrifices. Rest well. Make friends easily. Laugh and cry. Write code. And create.



No comments: