Monday, June 21, 2004

Cory Doctorow talks to Microsoft about why DRM is a dumb idea, including the cool quote: "Raise your hand if you're a co-author of the Darknet paper."

Long read, blogging it so I can come back to it later.

Also, the link-per-paragraph version has kicked my comment-system brain a bit. I'm trying to come up with a way to attach comments on Exmosis to a particular part of the page, and I've come up ideas ranging from Javascript-based text-selection to NTK-style "pre"-coding of everything to making every word a link (which would be ... amusing...)

Now thinking of a system that allows you to comment on a paragraph, by spitting out a link to the right of each p tag... Possible drawbacks/irritations for me:


  • ID each paragraph tag/automatically generate a unique ID for each paragraph, for identification purposes

  • Go through all my existing content and change anything that doesn't use paragraph tags (e.g. "pre"-coded stuff, or double br's) to use them.



If it got *really* fancy, you could select a paragraph, then choose a word in that paragraph or something, but I think that's getting silly. I think paragraph-commenting is enough granularity, plus encourages me to break things up into shorter paragraphs which might improve readability...

Or maybe I should just assign a unique ID to every html tag, and show some kind of "comment here" marker...

No comments: